What is the purpose of an HOA?

The goal of a responsible HOA is to protect property value and ensure the neighborhood is a pleasant place to live. The Board of Directors achieves this by maintaining the common assets, managing its finances, and enforcing and setting rules.

What are HOA dues?

HOA dues, or more accurately assessments, are funds paid by a homeowner that are used at the discretion of Association Board of Directors according to by-laws and state laws to promote the purposes of the Association (see above).

NWC homeowners are required to pay an annual assessment every January 1st. The amount may vary from year to year based on the annual budget and cannot be increased more than 8% annually. The amount of the assessment is the same for all properties in NWC.

Does NWC have customer service?

NWC residents enjoy the convenience of an on-site office open 20 hours weekly. Two part-time staff members are available to assist residents with CellBadge registration for using the NWC amenities, payments for assessments or fines, rentals of NWC facilities, and answering general questions. NWC staff also plan community events, maintain the website and social media pages, and publish the eNewsletter.

Those wishing to address collection action taken or deed restriction violation notices need to contact Patriot HOA Management by phone or email.

What is the Board of Directors?

The Board consists of seven elected, volunteer homeowners in NWC. They are not paid for their time nor do they receive discounts on their annual assessment. Positions vary by term length: five 3-year term positions and two 1-year term positions. The elected Board collectively determines which members will fill specific officer positions - President, Vice-President, Secretary, Treasurer, and three positions for Member at Large. There is no limit to the number of times a resident can be re-elected to the Board.

How does one get elected to the Board?

Elections for Board positions are held at the NWC Annual Homeowner Meeting every January. The meeting is announced in a letter included with each homeowner's annual statement mailed in December, on our website, in the eNewsletter, and on the two NWC marquees.

Any NWC homeowner in good standing is eligible to be nominated for a Board position. Votes cast in person and by proxy are tallied and results are reported at the Annual Homeowner Meeting, on our website, and in the eNewsletter.

Those intending to submit their name for a nomination are invited to contact the on-site office if they wish to be included in the Oct/Nov issue of the eNewsletter article regarding Board elections. Nominations may also be made at the Annual Homeowner Meeting; intention to nominate does not have to be expressed ahead of time.

What is a proxy form?

The proxy form is part of the Annual Homeowner Meeting notice and is mailed with the annual statement. By completing the form you acknowledge the scheduled Annual Homeowner Meeting but because you are unable to attend, the Association can simply count your proxy for the purposes of obtaining a quorum.

The Association must collect proxy forms to compensate for non-attendance at the Annual Homeowner Meeting. Attendance and proxies must total 199 in order to form a quorum and legally hold the meeting. Without a quorum the meeting must be rescheduled. This amounts to a nearly $4,000 bill to mail another round of meeting notices.

Does the proxy form give the Board my vote?

In addition to helping the Association acquire a quorum to hold the Annual Homeowner Meeting, the proxy also gives homeowners the option to transfer their vote for any elections or other decisions that require a vote to another homeowner or Board member.

The homeowner will indicate the name of another homeowner to whom they wish to transfer their vote. They may also choose to write in "Board" on the form to give their vote to the Board collectively. If the space indicated for vote transfer is left blank, the homeowner's vote will not be transferred; the proxy will be used for the purpose of acquiring a quorum only.

The proxy forms must be received by a date prior to the Annual Homeowner Meeting specified on the proxy form to be counted.

Can any homeowner obtain proxies or just the Board?

All NWC homeowners can obtain approved proxy forms and solicit other homeowners to complete a form. Only one form per homeowner is permitted. Forms must be signed and dated by the homeowner and include the homeowner's NWC property address.

Blank proxy forms may be requested from the on-site office or directly from Patriot HOA Management.

Do I have to contact NWC if I am selling my home?

The seller is required to provide the buyer with certification that their property is in good standing with the HOA and with HOA covenants and bylaws specific to their property. The resale package can only be ordered through condocerts.com. It is recommended that the order be placed immediately after an offer has been accepted to allow enough time for processing the request. The seller or agent must create an account with condocerts.com, search for "Northwest Crossing Association of San Antonio, Inc", and enter the required information including the closing date. Request a "Resale Package". The fee, approximately $330, must be paid at the time the order is placed. The title company will send transfer fees and documentation of the transfer of ownership to the HOA after closing.

How do I access NWC facilities?

To access the NWC Facilities residents need to be registered with the new NWC CellBadge identification System. This process will help us validate members in good standing that reside in Northwest Crossing only. These facilities include parks and picnic areas, trails, pools, tennis courts, clubhouses, and the sportsplex. Instructions and eligibility for CellBadge is provided on our website: click here.

Can I hold team practices on NWC property?

It is possible for residents to hold team practices for a league or organization outside the Association on NWC property, such as at a park or on the soccer fields or baseball backstop at the Sportsplex. The residents must contact the on-site office to make necessary arrangements. These will include a schedule of practices and insurance information. NWC must be included on the policy as an additional insured and proof must be provided to the NWC on-site office. If these conditions and any other prescribed are not met, residents and their guests will not be permitted to stay on the property.

How do I get access to my mailbox?

The United States Postal Service owns and maintains all cluster mail boxes in NWC.

When a home is transferred to a new homeowner, both the buyer and the seller must make a Change of Address request at usps.com.

According to usps.com, homeowners should return all mailbox keys to the Post Office when they move from their residence. When a customer moves, the Post Office will change the lock before reissuing the mailbox. The new customer is not charged for the first lock and keys even though the Postal Service replaced it.

Mailbox information must be requested in person by the homeowner at the Heritage office: 702 Richland Hills Dr, 78245. Photo ID and closing documents showing proof of ownership are required. The reissuing process can take several weeks, so we recommend you make a Hold Mail request online at usps.com. You can also sign up for Informed Delivery at usps.com to get a daily email report of all your incoming mail.

How do I report mailbox vandalism or theft?

The United States Postal Service owns and maintains all cluster mail boxes in NWC.

Report vandalized mailboxes or cluster mailboxes at

https://ehome.uspis.gov/mailtheft/vandalize.aspx. Once you have obtained a report number from USPS, please notify NWC security: (210) 952-9151. NWC and security will work with USPS and SAPD to stop crime in our neighborhood cluster mailboxes.

Any problems with USPS mail delivery need to be reported to USPS. You need to make the report online or call 1-800-ASK-USPS. You will be required to login to your account or register for an account.

PREVENTION IS KEY! Choose alternate options for delivery when you are likely not to be home to receive packages – Amazon lockers, neighbors or family who are more likely to be home, your workplace, Walgreens for pick-up of FedEx deliveries, CVS for pick-up of UPS deliveries.

What is my trash collection schedule?

The City of San Antonio Solid Waste Management provides three colored trash carts to each residence: blue for recyclables, green for organics, brown for trash. You can look up your collection day by entering your residence address at https://www.sanantonio.gov/swmd/My-Collection-Day.

When is City bulky and brush pickup service scheduled in NWC?

The City of San Antonio Solid Waste Management provides free pickup of brush and bulky items to residential solid waste ratepayers. Brush pickup is in January and August, and bulky item pickup is in April and October.

A notice of pickup will be placed on your front door about a week prior to pickup. The City does not release pickup dates any earlier.

There are limits on the amount, type, and placement of items for pickup. Review guidelines at https://www.sanantonio.gov/swmd/Brush and https://www.sanantonio.gov/swmd/Bulky.

What is the benefit of NWC 24 Hour Security Patrol?

The Association contract with SRT Security Services to provide a patrol officer and vehicle to be on duty 24/7 in NWC. The patrol officer responds to phone calls from residents, has requirements to patrol every NWC street a set number of times during an 8-hour shift, must check in at designated points within NWC, and provides the Association Manager with reports of every report received and action taken during a shift. As a result, NWC residents enjoy peace of mind and greater security while at home or out in their community.

Please keep in mind NWC Security Patrol officers have limitations on the service they can render. If a resident makes a request that is outside of the patrol officer’s authority or responsibility, the officer will assist the resident to contact the correct authority. NWC Security Patrol officers cannot remove loose animals. They do not carry a weapon. They do not have authority to issue tickets.

Why does NWC Security Patrol drive with flashing yellow lights?

NWC Security Patrol’s key purpose is to deter crime and vandalism and assist residents in their efforts to ensure the safety of their community. One of the most effective tools the patrol has is the light bar atop the patrol vehicle. The lights alert people of a security presence in the vicinity. It also protects the patrol officers as they go about their duties. They are required to drive with the yellow lights flashing always when dark.

Can NWC Security Patrol help with security of my personal property?

While they cannot focus their efforts on individual private properties, NWC Security Patrol does patrol every street in the community several time within a 24-hour period. They are trained to watch suspicious behaviors and signs of vandalism and other crime. If you plan to leave your home unattended for an extended period, you may contact NWC Security Patrol to make them aware of your absence. They will keep a closer eye on your property while you are away as they make their regular patrols and contact you should they see anything amiss.

What can I do about noisy neighbors?

In a condensed community such as NWC, neighbors are bound to unintentionally share the noise of living with their neighbors. Sometimes, though, noise can become a nuisance. NWC follows City ordinances regarding noise. It is important to keep your volume down between 10:00 pm and 6:00 am.

Residents should only report noisy neighbors who persist after reasonable requests have been made to rectify the nuisance. Residents may report noise nuisances to NWC Security Patrol who can measure noise with a decibel meter. If the noisy neighbor is found to be in violation of City ordinance, NWC Security Patrol can speak to the neighbor and request the noise be turned down. NWC Security Patrol has no authority to issue tickets. They will report issues to the Association Manager, and a deed restriction violation letter can be sent to the offending homeowner at the reporting resident’s request. The resident may also need to report the noise nuisance to SAPD non-emergency as they can enforce City ordinances with tickets.

Does the HOA regulate street parking?

NWC does not own streets and alleys. They are owned, maintained, and regulated by the City of San Antonio. The City regulates parking on the street. If you believe a vehicle is parked illegally or is being stored on the street, please report the violation to SAPD non-emergency. The City has an ordinance banning the parking of oversized vehicles on City streets. Violations of this ordinance may be reported to SAPD non-emergency. If NWC Security Patrol notices parking violations that could are a safety hazard on an NWC street, the patrol officer may report it to SAPD. NWC Security Patrol does not have the authority to issue parking tickets.

Can I store my boat or recreational vehicle on my property?

NWC deed restrictions prohibit the storage of RVs, travel trailers, boats, campers, or motorized recreational vehicles from being parked, stored, or permitted to remain in the street or on the property unless they are completely enclosed in the garage or an approved detached garage. Residents must store such property elsewhere permanently. Residents may park them near their residence only long enough to load and unload and may be fined for repeated violations of deed restrictions.

Can I make changes to my property?

As stated above, the goal of a responsible HOA is to protect property value and ensure the neighborhood is a pleasant place to live. Any changes made to your NWC residence that alters its exterior appearance must be approved by the Association.

The NWC Board of Directors has a designated Architectural Control Committee (ACC) that decides whether proposed improvements to the exterior of a property within NWC will be approved or denied based on the best interest of all homeowners and deed restriction violations. An ACC form must be submitted to the Committee to seek approval of the proposed change. Depending on the project, the survey for the property may also be required.

Projects requiring ACC approval include but are not limited to the following.

  • replacing fences
  • removing or planting trees or shrubbery
  • building structures (walkway, detached garage, deck, shed, patio cover, water feature, pool, etc.)
  • painting siding, trim, and doors
  • replacing windows, exterior doors, garage door, siding, and roof
  • adding onto the home
  • extending the driveway

Failure to seek ACC approval in advance of commencing work can result in a “cease and desist” order and/or fines. It may also prohibit you from selling your home in the future.

The ACC request form is available online, and ACC request documentation may be submitted to Patriot HOA Management or to the NWC on-site office in person or electronically. Paint samples must be submitted in person.

Who is responsible to maintain my fence?

Most fences within NWC are not shared. In general, fence posts were installed on the property with ownership and the pickets were placed on the non-owner’s side. The homeowner with fence posts on their side of the fence are most likely the owner of that length of fence and responsible to maintain it at their own cost. Neighbors are encouraged to work together to maintain fences and share costs where feasible, however the Association does not get involved in neighbor disputes. In the rare case of a truly shared fence, both neighbors will be held responsible for maintaining the fence and will receive notices from the Association until the issue is resolved by one or both owners.

The only definitive way to determine ownership is by referring to the survey of the property. If done correctly, the survey will show property markers and fence lines and indicate ownership. The Architectural Control Committee (ACC) can help homeowners determine fence ownership and responsibility for maintenance by reviewing the property survey if you provide it.

The city may require a permit for replacing more than 25% of a fence, but the Association does not ask for proof of permits for such repairs. The homeowner must fill out a request form for the ACC to review and submit it with the property survey to Patriot HOA Management or the NWC on-site office.

What should I do if I cannot resolve a dispute with my neighbor?

The Association does not mediate in neighbor disputes. Irreconcilable disputes can be mediated through Bexar County Dispute Resolution Center free of charge.